About Me

My photo

I'm never bored. If I'm not knitting or spinning, I'm gardening or reading. Always up to something!

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Grandma in 1905


Sometimes it's difficult to believe that I'm the oldest woman in the family. How in the world did that happen? My grandmother and I still spend time together in the garden even though she's been gone for 10 years. She was right there watching me plant thornless blackberry canes this past spring. I hear her voice and feel the soft skin of her arms when I touch my own. My mom hangs over my shoulder as well. I see her every morning looking back at me as I put on my make-up. She recently helped me identify the butterfly weed seedling I planted in the vegetable garden last year. I almost pulled it, thinking it was just another stray weed. She's there too, though she passed away the day after Christmas. I wish they both had stayed long enough to teach me how to be a grandmother when my daughter gives birth in January. I guess I just have to call them in from the garden.

1 comment:

  1. That is a very sweet, touching tribute to your grandma and mother. I'm sure you will be a wonderful grandmother.

    ReplyDelete