About Me

My photo

I'm never bored. If I'm not knitting or spinning, I'm gardening or reading. Always up to something!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

But you look so good...

So, I was diagnosed in 1986.  I had a 2 year old baby and a nine year old child.  I felt awful.  I had suffered with a sinus infection that came out of nowhere, followed up by a strep throat 2 months later.  The MS had been relapsing and remitting for a couple of years but returned with a vengeance in August of 1988. 
We were invited to attend my husband's brother's out of state wedding  to be held in October.  I could barely hobble.  I was numb in one leg up to my hip and the other up to my armpit.  Cute pumps to go with the dress I had searched the mall for were not in the picture.   I could barely pick my feet up and walked stiff-legged like Frankenstein's monster.  I dragged myself to the local library and checked out a book called The MS Diet.
Now, I had just finished losing 30 pounds on Weight Watchers and was pretty much on a low fat diet anyway.  So I decided that taking cod liver oil sounded like an idea worth trying.  I also read some basic information about the neurological system and added Inositol to my daily regimen.  I couldn't even pronounce it properly.  I read that Inositol was required for the repair and restoration of myelin.  I was self-treating.
My neurologist never recommended any vitamins or supplements, nor had he even mentioned physical therapy.  But I got on my exercise bike when I didn't feel too sick and popped a few supplements.  It was all I had.  That and a little plaque with a bible verse from Philippians that my daughter had carefully crafted with glued-on alphabet macaroni...."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".  I kept taking my vitamins and looking at that little plaque which I placed on the shelf above the kitchen sink.
And guess what? A couple of months later  I wore patent leather pumps with my new dress to the wedding in October and I walked like a queen. I looked just fine so there was absolutely no appreciation of the trouble I went to just to be able to attend that event.  My sister-in-law (now deceased) told me I didn't get a corsage since I wasn't an immediate family member (as she pinned one on my daughter and a boutonniere on my son and on my late husband).  I was left out of a family group photo while I was taking my 5 year old to the ladies room.  When that picture came in the mail,  I threw it away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment