About Me

My photo

I'm never bored. If I'm not knitting or spinning, I'm gardening or reading. Always up to something!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Minding my own Mitochondria?

I just finished watching Dr. Terry Wahl's video regarding her magnificent healing from her secondary progressive MS. There are other websites that recommend the same protocol - the Paleo diet - and others have experienced similar results to Dr. Wahl's. Some questions I've been pondering about my own health have now been answered. I've made significant lifestyle changes in the two decades +  since I was diagnosed and apparently have been co-incidentally reaping the benefits.

I quit (was healed of) smoking.
I started eating many more vegetables (especially broccoli, cabbage and kale) than the averageAmerican.
I started taking fish oil supplements ( try to eat fish but I don't eat enough of it).
I started taking co-enzyme Q10.
I use almost exclusively olive oil and some butter (for baking).
I've mostly dropped dairy - I use almond milk.
My naturopath has recommended deleting as much wheat as possible from my diet (it's difficult but it's greatly decreased and will be phased out after watching Dr. Wahl's video.
I'm a regular exerciser - usually vigorously 3 times a week and have been since before I was dx'd.
I eat a little cereal on my wild blueberries every morning for breakfast.

Have I been minding my own mitochondria without realizing it?  I look younger than my chronological age and feel pretty good most of the time.  I can't explain why my symptoms are lessening through the years and my neurologist can't explain it either.  When I asked my neurologist why this could possibly be happening, his response was that I perhaps had a benign form of MS.  That was a ridiculous comment based on the first 15 years of my experience with this disease.  Dr. Wahl's video provides encouraging information and I can only hope it goes viral for all our sakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment