About Me

My photo

I'm never bored. If I'm not knitting or spinning, I'm gardening or reading. Always up to something!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cheap & Lazy Summer Color


It's not like I've never noticed a Coleus before.  I grew them from seed when I was first married (decades ago).  They all pretty much looked the same.  Some mangled red and green - a novelty but that was about the extent of it.  Last year I noticed "Electric Lime" in the local garden center and my eyes about popped out of my head.  I was captivated and hooked.  I even wintered her over in the little sliver of sun that comes into my kitchen.  I just couldn't let go.  Now I'm about to try it again, but with a number of different Coleus plants I bought in the Spring.  They root easily in a vase of water and they're easy to pot up.  I'll keep them going the best that I can and hope they survive the winter indoors.  In the meantime, I'll keep looking for interesting plants to start outside from seed again next year.  Hyacinth Bean vines caught my eye at the New York State Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck last fall.  I loved the show and came home with some gorgeous yarn but the display of Hyacinth Bean vines planted among the Oak Leaf Hydrangea inspired me to find the shrub and the seeds as soon as the snow melted... 



A ggorgeous Coleus (name unknown but I think it's called "Penny") explodes in afternoon sun.  It passes out everyday as it's grown way too large for the pot.  I give her a big drink and she perks right up. It's about 20 times larger than when I bought her at Lowe's.


More Coleus (including "Electric Lime" that I saved from cuttings I took last summer and grew in the house all winter.)  By the time she got really leggy, it was time to start more plants and put them outside.

Nasturtiums from seed.  Did you know Nasturtiums were one of Monet's favorite plants?  I thought for sure it was waterlilies.  Who knew?

                                  
                                                               
                                             Close-up shot of Nasturtium "Cherries Jubilee"

 
Hyacinth Bean Vine from 3 seeds in a pot with a trellis




                                                        Next year I'll use a taller trellis


Lavender Eye Butterfly Bush. Plant it and neglect it. Yes, there's a drunken bee sleeping on his back.



More Coleus and Thai Basil grown from seed (started outside in the Spring)



No comments:

Post a Comment