About Me

My photo

I'm never bored. If I'm not knitting or spinning, I'm gardening or reading. Always up to something!

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Everybody Needs to Feel Special


My husband and I were invited to attend "Special Persons Breakfast" at one of my grandsons' pre-schools this morning. I've been thinking about feeling "special" lately, having read a few essays by women complaining about the hoopla surrounding Mother's Day and the negative emotions that that "holiday" evoked in them. One was a mother, the rest were not. I compared that in my mind to the woman I used to work with who said she and her husband thought Valentine's Day was ridiculous and refused to engage in the "artificial" displays required by that "Hallmark holiday". I get it. I really do. I've told my husband of 10 years that he does not have to shell out $75 in roses on one day in February to prove undying love for me. He can bring me a bunch from the grocery store and I'll be just as happy. This past Mother's Day, our son graduated from college. That was his special day. I got some very sweet cards from my husband and son and phone calls from my grown children. Hubs and I will visit my favorite nursery when time permits and buy an extra lovely basket to hang on the patio. I'm not neglected. I buy clothes more than I really need. I went on a retreat this month with one of my best friends and came home with lovely yarn to knit. I had a great time, enjoyed spiritual refreshment and good food that I didn't have to cook or clean up. I guess that this all means is that I feel filled-up. I don't long for attention or flattery because I have people around me who love and support me. If I had an empty place inside, I'd need a special day to make up for the rest of the year. I will never criticize a women who needs a special day like Mother's Day. Everybody needs to feel special.

No comments:

Post a Comment