About Me

My photo

I'm never bored. If I'm not knitting or spinning, I'm gardening or reading. Always up to something!

Monday, October 26, 2015

The Secret Garden




 I picked up a copy of The Secret Garden for a dollar when my local library was having a book sale last summer. Somehow I'd missed reading it as a child. One at a time, I'm trying to catch up on some of the classics I missed. Last time, it was Anna Karenina. I took it as something to stay occupied while my son was having his wisdom teeth removed. That day, I felt like throwing Anna under the train myself.
Looking for something lighter, I took The Secret Garden along on our trip, reading a few pages each night before going to sleep. I know it's dated. There's some racism in the original copy I have, and that reflects the time in which it was written. I didn't allow that to ruin the book for me, though and I understand it's been edited and updated with a new voice by Briton Bailey.
I hope much of the original text remains the same. Many of us have been through tough situations, both with our own health and issues with the people we love. I believe it takes courage to grieve what can't be undone and replace sadness with hope and continue to live. Here's an except that I love - plainly spoken by a gardener in the secret garden:
 "Much more surprising things can happen to anyone who, when a disagreeable or discouraged thought comes into his mind, jut has the sense to remember in time and push it out by putting in an agreeable determinedly courageous one. Two things cannot be in one place. - Where you tend a rose, my lad, a thistle cannot grow."

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading The Secret Garden with the children when they were younger. Anna Karenina I have only seen the movie. I tried to join this site but it would not let me but I am following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Angela. I'm also glad to know that something's not working properly.

      Delete