About Me

My photo

I'm never bored. If I'm not knitting or spinning, I'm gardening or reading. Always up to something!

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Clutter makes me Crazy!

There are plenty of posts on YouTube that explain the secret to an organized home. Marie Kondo explains the secrets in her book "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up", which I admit I have not read. I think I pretty much get the gist of her program. However, I do have to keep things that do not bring me joy. Some are necessities. Some have monetary value. Some I hope to get back into at some point before I die. A few would simply make me feel too guilty to sell, give away or throw out. I am in the process of reclaiming my spare room and turning it into a sewing room for me. This has been my goal for over a year and the end is near. It's taken me a while to find places to store everything I plan to keep. I'll offer the rest to my children before the spring tag sale. The balance will go to Goodwill or the dump.

The grandchildren's toys live in my coffee table.

My son laughs at me when I ask him to put something back "where it lives". And here's the theme of this post. The easiest (and I think the only way) to reduce clutter in a home is to make sure that everything has a "home". If we have "homeless" items, we need to find or make them a home. Sometimes we have to get creative. Especially if you (as I did) live in a small home or apartment. Not that this house is a mansion, but there are enough places to create storage where none existed before. Here's an example: We have collected assorted paperwork, ear medicines, dog brush and other paraphernalia that relates to our little dog. I found a storage box that looks like a suitcase when I was browsing Michael's. I tuck it out of the way in the stairwell that leads to the basement. I can reach it by simply opening the cellar door but I don't have to search far to find what I need. The french script on the valise cracks me up.



I have two more that match the kitchen colors. One holds gardening information, the other has packing tape, scotch tape, rubber bands, paperclips. You get the idea. We have grandchildren, 3 of whom are under age 6. I have two storage cubes that hold their toys and serve as a coffee table in the living room when pushed together. And I don't have to worry about them getting hurt on a sharp edged coffee table if they fall while they're playing. I have two more cubes in the family room that hold my knitting and yarn

Where I hide my gardening ideas and kitchen desk supplies


A large tray on it's holder, granny's silver plate and 100 bottles of acrylic paint on the stair landing
The area by the front door collects coats, dog leashes, umbrellas - cubbies keep things under control
When I visited my husband's home for the first time, coats, shoes and everything else landed on a couch near the front door. I knew I'd never break the habit of a man over 50. So I went with it. The upper shelf catches coats and leashes, the lower bench keeps shoes and grandkids' books where they can find them. The games and puzzles are in the coat closet on the other side of the front door. I am definitely not a "neat-nik". Things get a little crazy around the computer area in the kitchen. I don't put everything away as quickly as I should. But things do find their way home on a regular basis because they have homes. I think that's the true "magic" to tidying up.










1 comment:

  1. Absolutely! Being homeless allows items to wander, get lost, and invite others to join. Before you know it, a crowd forms and they always get out of control. I have lots of crowds.

    ReplyDelete