About Me

My photo

I'm never bored. If I'm not knitting or spinning, I'm gardening or reading. Always up to something!

Friday, February 19, 2016

Zombie Socks - Done and Done!



Hi Knitters and Others,

Have you been bitten by the "knitting bug" yet? Good for you and the people you love. They'll get nifty knitwear (if they're worthy recipients) and you'll have a fun (albeit frustrating at times) new hobby. This pair of socks took me 10 months to knit. You can make a baby in less time than that. I did knit several things in between, but, really? I admit that they are huge. I have big, size 10 feet. I could call it second sock syndrome. I will probably knit another pair....some day. Assuming I live that long. I'm 63.
The first one (thanks to Susan B. Anderson's pattern - "How I Knit My Socks" from her website. Thank you, Susan. The first one was a breeze. I followed the instructions and I was amazed at the results.


I started the second sock, finished the ribbing for the cuff and put them away until a couple of weeks ago. I won the yarn from the dyer, Susan of "Desert Vista Dyeworks". It's part of her 'Zombie' collection. "Desert Vista Dyeworks" ran a contest looking for new zombie colors. I suggested a zombie wedding color called "Zombody's Getting Married." Susan ran with it, calling it "Here Comes the Zombride". Cute, right? The whole time I'm knitting the sock I'm imagining the zombie blood and guts to actually be crushed roses - in my head. I guess you can love zombies at my age but - me - it's crushed roses all the way.


And then it's almost Valentine's Day and I need to knit pink. So I pick up the second sock and get going on it. And had to rip it out and start over. Then I got all the way to the toe and started the kitchner stitch to close the toe...screwed that up, ripped out the toe and finished the sock yesterday.
A bit late for Valentine's Day but we're still kind of celebrating here. Until the chocolate's gone and the flowers are dead, it's still a holiday.




I can't decide - Is the look more Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland?

6 comments:

  1. I like you comment in the end about the socks. It is a very pretty pair of socks! I see you also had a great bouquet of flowers for Valentine's Day! Well, if I can look like you at 63 then I want to be 63 tomorrow morning. You look lovely!!! I am 55 now but my skin has spots that I got enjoying the ocean and burning my skin. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My answer to the lack of sun damage is that I never had a bikini body lol! You look great and so does your stitching. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. I love fun socks! Looks like you had a fantastic Valentines day. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are too cute and twice as special because you knitted them yourself! Thanks for adding your flair to the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop! This post has been pinned to our group board.

    Shellie
    www.thefabjourney.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them... I need some of those zombies socks... ;)

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete